We’ve almost made it to the end of the year, and what a year it’s been!
For BioTechNZ, 2020 it has certainly been a big year and I’d like to share with you a summary along with some key highlights:
- BIOTechNZ has doubled its members over the last two years
- we delivered a highly successful Medicinal Cannabis conference MedCan Summit – New Zealand’s first medicinal cannabis event!, with around 700 delegates attending across two days
- published a profile of Life Science Key Opinion Leaders – showcasing the quality of the New Zealand science system
- created the first Biotech ecosystem map Explore New Zealand’s biotechnology ecosystem – BIOTechNZ (this will be updated as needed in 2021)
- published the economic impact study, Aotearoa New Zealand Boosted by Biotech: Innovating for a Sustainable Future – identifying the biotech opportunity for New Zealand
- our last BioTechNZ networking event in collaboration with BioScience Enterprise covering the topic of COVID-19 Vaccine Development proved popular with 100 attendees at the University of Auckland
- education and networking opportunities for members through webinars (11 throughout the year)
- awareness of our sector increasing through media releases (13 over the year)
We’ll be back in 2021, and some key updates for early in the new year will include:
- BioTechNZ’s 5 year strategic plan
- MedCan 2021 save the date
- Dunedin based networking event (sponsored by ASX) to be announced for Feb
Introducing the New Zealand Tech and Innovation Story
I’d also like to make a mention of an exciting new programme that NZTech is leading. The New Zealand Tech and Innovation Story is a marketing initiative that will be designed to promote and enhance our international reputation for delivering world-class solutions and present New Zealand as a compelling place for tech talent and investment. But to get started, we need your help!
If you could take 10 minutes to complete this survey it would be greatly appreciated (please feel free to share amongst your network also).
By completing this survey, you are playing a part in helping shape the narrative and the way we promote New Zealand’s tech and innovation capabilities internationally. The survey findings will be shared and will help form an integral part of developing the story we tell to the world.
To finish the year on a light hearted note
I know it’s hard to find original gifts for the holidays for those who love biotechnology, so here are some ideas for some stocking fillers:
Baking: Antibody cookie cutter Immunoglobulin biscuit cutters
Toys: Giant Microbes Plush Toy (COVID-19)
Picture: A portrait of your own DNA
Board Game: Viral
Clothing: CRISPR Whisperer T-shirt
Thank you all for your help and support in 2020, and I’m really looking forward to what 2021 will bring for the biotech sector.
To receive our full newsletter including additional industry updates and information, subscribe now.