In this issue
- Colin Harvey RIP
- BioTechNZ news and highlights
- Government submissions
- What’s happening around the country and across the ditch?
Rest in Peace Colin Harvey
It is with great sadness that we recognise the passing of Colin Harvey (ONZM). Colin was an inspirational leader in our community and established the animal health business Ancare, which he later sold to Merial. He kept on innovating and invested in and coached many businesses such as Orbis, Mastaplex and CertusBio.
Requiem Mass will be celebrated at St John the Baptist Catholic Church 87 Hastings Road, Mairangi Bay, Auckland on Friday 4 February at 11am. To register interest or receive the link to view the service please email susan. email@example.com Vaccine pass required.
BioTechNZ news and highlights
New Zealand is facing further uncertainty and challenges as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, with community transmission of Omicron and a move to the red ‘traffic light’ setting for the entire country. What we do know, however, is that the pandemic has seen an acceleration of both the development and adoption of biotech. BioTechNZ, itself, has seen changes too, with events in the near future going online. For our initiatives:
- MedCan Summit 2022 will be held as a virtual event. See ‘News & Events’ below.
- BioTechNZ was successful in securing seed funding from Grow Wellington for a Life Sciences Summit and Awards Dinner, to be held in October/November (exact date to be confirmed).
- Networking events will be held virtually for the next 6 months due to the uncertainty of omicron.
BioTechNZ Government submissions
- Te Ara Paerangi – Future Pathways Green Paper consultation process.
- BioTechNZ is currently writing a submission and we invite you to provide input before the 2 March closing date.
- Join the BioTechNZ discussion on 17 Feb, 1-3pm. Register here
- Join the New Zealanders for Health Research (NZHR) discussion on 22 Feb, 1-3pm. Register here. NZHR is holding an online workshop to gather stakeholder input to form a submission on behalf of the health research sector.
- Accident Compensation (Maternal Birth Injury and Other Matters) Amendment Bill – the goal is to extend ACC coverage to commercial clinical trials participants.
What’s happening around the country and across the ditch?
AN ASK FROM THE BIOTECH COMMUNITY
Announcing the winner of the CytivaANZ BioChallenge 2021
Cytiva, a global life sciences leader, announces the winner of its first BioChallenge for the Australia and New Zealand region (ANZ). The competition attracted 32 proposals from academic institutions and start-up companies across the region’s biotechnology industry. They were valuated by a panel of independent judges. VivaZome Therapeutics, an emerging exosome-derived therapies developer, was ultimately awarded the top prize valued at approximately AUD $200,000.
BioTechNZ members please send your news to us so we can share your success stories with the biotech community.
To receive our full newsletter including additional industry updates and information, subscribe now.